EveryDay Angels Forum - A Jewel Message Board

Author Topic: Book discussion thread.  (Read 54258 times)

Angel Eyes

• Administrator
Book discussion thread.
« on: September 16, 2015, 02:25:59 PM »
Since the other thread has 6 pages already I thought it'd be good to have a separate thread talking about the contents of the book. Like, what Jewel says about her life and the people in it, the extra deluxe stuff, what you generally like or dislike about the book etc. I know a lot of us are still waiting to receive our copy in the mail so there might not be a lot of discussion yet, but there will be eventually. Hopefully. :lol:

Jessica

• EDA
  • Blinded by the plight
Re: Book discussion thread.
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2015, 02:28:05 PM »
Since the other thread has 6 pages already I thought it'd be good to have a separate thread talking about the contents of the book.

I agree! 

I'll join in the discussion by Sept 25th at least when I go to the signing - I should finally get a copy then! :lolsad:

Randy

• EDA
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 10:58:19 AM »
Just pulled it out of the mailbox and I've got to go to work. First thing I saw was awesome, though:
Spoiler: show
The inner covers, front and back, are wallpapered with song lyrics!

ShawnShamrock

• EDA
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 11:31:48 AM »
I want details.. I am getting the book possibly tomorrow if I end up making the trip to barnes and noble. Until that moment I want lots of spoilers!!

Donna Sue

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 02:16:32 PM »
Just pulled it out of the mailbox and I've got to go to work. First thing I saw was awesome, though:
The inner covers, front and back, are wallpapered with song lyrics!

Nice!!!!!! :banana:

Randy

• EDA
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 09:03:09 PM »
At this time I feel it's necessary to implore folks NOT to skip ahead to the part where Jewel blows Nedra up.

I skipped right to the pictures, though. I'm a child.  ::2

Donna Sue

« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2015, 03:06:13 AM »

I skipped right to the pictures, though. I'm a child.  ::2

I always do the same thing with books... I have little patience with such things.  :lol:

Randy

• EDA
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2015, 07:02:44 AM »
I just finished chapter 8.

The story of little Jewel and Atz Lee trying (and failing) to fight quietly and waking hungover Atz, and what he did, was harrowing. Wow. Plus, you'd think Hawaii was paradise but she describes a pretty horrible time. Catkin's husband comes off like a lunatic but I suspect Jewel forgot or left out some details here. I'd imagine she was a pain in the ass then.

Her comment about being unable to leave Hawaii until she got her Alaskan Oil Dividend surprised me, although it shouldn't have. I'd forgotten that all state residents get that.

Nobody

• EDA
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2015, 07:35:28 AM »
I just finished chapter 8.

The story of little Jewel and Atz Lee trying (and failing) to fight quietly and waking hungover Atz, and what he did, was harrowing. Wow. Plus, you'd think Hawaii was paradise but she describes a pretty horrible time. Catkin's husband comes off like a lunatic but I suspect Jewel forgot or left out some details here. I'd imagine she was a pain in the ass then.

Her comment about being unable to leave Hawaii until she got her Alaskan Oil Dividend surprised me, although it shouldn't have. I'd forgotten that all state residents get that.

I left off right around the same point last night and admit that I was in tears a few times.  I cannot suggest the audiobook enough.  Never had one before, but it's a must.  You'll hear every crack in her voice, tear ad lump in her throat before a "new take."  I never expected to be quite this moved or emotional about it all.
Going through my own issues with family and loss, this is all so raw.  It makes sense and fills in a lot of the gaps.  She is handlin the Nedra side of it very well.  Classy, but not glossed over.  I don't think any of us realized how much abuse, she actually endured - both physical ad emotional. 

Nobody

• EDA
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2015, 07:37:28 AM »
 :ragecomp:
Please forgive the typos.  This new keyboard is oing to kill me, or fly.  I do not recommend the new HP Envy laptops -- FYI.

Jessica

• EDA
  • Blinded by the plight
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2015, 07:42:11 AM »
I do, however, recomment HP ProBooks - the keyboard is the best in the industry. :cool:

Nobody

• EDA
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2015, 07:46:53 AM »
I normally LOVE HP.  I had this thing custom built and blah, blah, blah.  The fingerprint reader, is right where you wouldrest your left palm to type.  So I'm constantly turning it on becausse I haven't figured out how to disable it yet. :grandma:

Randy

• EDA
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2015, 07:49:49 AM »
I cannot suggest the audiobook enough.  Never had one before, but it's a must.  You'll hear every crack in her voice, tear ad lump in her throat before a "new take."  I never expected to be quite this moved or emotional about it all.
Oh, I can tell right now that's gonna hit me right in the chest when I hear it. I didn't get the download though, I have it coming on (multiple, evidently) CDs.

:grandpa:

Nobody

• EDA
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2015, 08:25:58 AM »
I cannot suggest the audiobook enough.  Never had one before, but it's a must.  You'll hear every crack in her voice, tear ad lump in her throat before a "new take."  I never expected to be quite this moved or emotional about it all.
Oh, I can tell right now that's gonna hit me right in the chest when I hear it. I didn't get the download though, I have it coming on (multiple, evidently) CDs.

:grandpa:
:grandma:
Yeah, it is.  I was up til 3am, with some purple string lights, my iPod, and a box of tissues.  I'm trying to figure out how to et the deluxe content  :cry:

Echo

• EDA
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2015, 08:54:49 AM »
I think im on chapter 28 and i am beyond amazed.. cant wait to discuss

cillapgp

• EDA
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2015, 09:20:51 AM »
I managed to make it thru the book only tearing up, no actual tears flowed. But I just finished it... and I was sobbing at the end. Just. Ugh.  :blueguitar:

I couldn't pace myself. I had to gobble it all up. I think I'll re-read it with the audio book.

Jessica

• EDA
  • Blinded by the plight
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2015, 09:57:25 AM »
Ah, you guys are making this sound sooooo good ... I'm stoked!  :fun:

How would you say this book compares to Chasing Down the Dawn - as good, better or worse?

Donna Sue

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2015, 10:10:07 AM »
I'm soo trying not to read the spoilers!! You guys are killing me!  :tongue2:

I went to our local bookstore today at lunch and they have exactly ONE copy of NB. I must admit I picked it up and looked at the pictures.. nothing more!  I thought of buying it since who knows when my copy will arrive, but it's $35 Canadian. Seems a bit steep for something that's supposedly on its way already.

Seriously considering buying the audio as well though. Then I can have Jewel read to me whenever I want.   :wub:

Randy

• EDA
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2015, 10:26:43 AM »
Ah, you guys are making this sound sooooo good ... I'm stoked!  :fun:

How would you say this book compares to Chasing Down the Dawn - as good, better or worse?
My impression of the first few chapters is, much better. I can kind of see the arc of where the story's going, while CDTD was (intentionally) sort of scattershot. Tons of details I never knew, too! Like:
Tom Bodett wrote a $5000 check to complete her fundraiser for Interlochen.

Jessica

• EDA
  • Blinded by the plight
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2015, 01:23:08 PM »
my dad was obsessed with Irish Spring, too.  When I met my mister, he was that using nasty soap, too.  What is with men and that vile bar of filth? :lol: