EveryDay Angels Forum - A Jewel Message Board

Author Topic: Jewel in People Magazine  (Read 1685 times)

Jessica

• EDA
  • Dancin the night away
Jewel in People Magazine
« on: September 15, 2015, 04:35:32 PM »
There's a video interview on the website:

Jewel: 'My Heartbreak Has Made Me Stronger'

http://www.people.com/article/jewel-opens-up-divorce-struggles-memoir-album?xid=socialflow_twitter_peoplemag

Jewel has never been one to shy away from talking about life's ups and downs.

And Jewel has weathered her share of storms. From her 2014 split from Ty Murray to her battles with sexual harassment in the music industry, things haven't always been easy for the 41-year-old singer.

So why sing about things that are so personal? "It's really about being truthful," Jewel tells PEOPLE. "And being true to who I am, and not shying away from things. I try to be brave in all my decisions."

Jewel gets startling candid in two new projects. Her first studio album in five years, Picking Up the Pieces, debuted Friday. Her new memoir, Never Broken was released on Tuesday.

In the memoir, she opens up about her teenaged homelessness, her rise to fame, and her estranged relationship with her mother. (They haven't spoken in 12 years.)

So was Jewel worried what her 4-year-old son, Kase, would think when he grows up and reads the book?

"I'm aware that someday, Kase will be reading it," she says. "So that certainly did inform some of the things I was willing to say. But in general, I think the best gift we can give each other is transparency what it really takes to be human, what we really face. Otherwise, there's tremendous isolation if we think we're going through things alone.

"I'm not ashamed of anything that I've been through or how I've gone through it," she adds.

That includes her divorce from Murray. "If there's a person out there who doesn't know heartbreak or loss, then I'm very happy for them," she says. "But I think it's pretty rare. My heartbreak has made me stronger."

Jewel tells PEOPLE that she doesn't regret the past five years. "I took time off to try to build a family. I enjoyed it, and taking time to learn what being a mom meant to me. I turned my career around so I could make being a mom a priority."

"Now, I feel like it's reasonable to start working again," she says. "As a mom, I didn't want to do a 6-7 months promo tour. I made an album that won't be played on the radio, and that's fine with me."

So what does she make of her struggles now? "These are the things that make us human," she says. "I've had heartbreak, but I've also had a lot of happiness. I can still laugh."

Check out some of the more lighthearted moments from Jewel's PEOPLE interview in the video above.

Randy

• EDA
Re: Jewel: 'My Heartbreak Has Made Me Stronger' in People Magazine
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2015, 08:09:41 PM »
That video was pretty damned awesome. I love it when she's kidding around and making faces and stuff...

Administrator

• The internet's HOA
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 10:42:19 AM »
Never have I ever...

Administrator

• The internet's HOA
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 10:11:11 AM »
Jewel was on that People Now ... only a snipped about the Oregon shooting.

It starts at 3:36 if you want to watch it.  I typed out the response already if you don't want to muck with the video:

It’s very frustrating seeing how much this is happening.  I’ve never seen bureaucracy help problems that are psychological.  I think how we handle mental care in our country really needs to be looked at much more … as much as gun control. If people want to do bad things, they’re going to find ways to do them, so why are people doing this? That’s a much harder issue to get at, and I don’t think bureaucracy can really get at the heart of that.

Administrator

• The internet's HOA
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 04:15:51 PM »
More of this interview posted today:

Administrator

• The internet's HOA
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 04:19:12 PM »
And another bit about dating Sean Penn because that's what's important to these people.

Administrator

• The internet's HOA
  • Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 04:20:43 PM »
Just Jewel's gun control snippet:

Administrator

• The internet's HOA
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 06:28:11 AM »

Administrator

• The internet's HOA
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2015, 01:40:39 PM »
They're really spreading this one out!!  From today:

Jessica

• EDA
  • Dancin the night away
Re: Jewel in People Magazine
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2016, 03:50:20 PM »
Jewel Says Amicable Co-Parenting with Ex Ty Murray Is 'Work': 'You Obviously Don't Get a Divorce Because Things Are Going Well'

http://www.people.com/article/jewel-amicable-coparenting-work-ty-murray

Jewel and Ty Murray made an amicable split seem easy when they announced their divorce – but the singer insists it came with its challenges.

"It's work. I don't want people to think it's effortless – it's work to do this because you obviously don't get a divorce because things are going well," the 41-year-old star says in the new issue of PEOPLE. "But it's letting those things live in the past."

The singer-songwriter and rodeo cowboy, 46, announced their split in 2014 and have since worked hard to maintain a positive rapport for their 4-year-old son Kase.

For Jewel – who's on the road for her Picking Up the Pieces tour through May – that meant "realizing you're in a relationship forever, so learning to treat one another with respect and dignity and just doing the right thing for Kase."

Jewel and Ty Murray made an amicable split seem easy when they announced their divorce – but the singer insists it came with its challenges.

"It's work. I don't want people to think it's effortless – it's work to do this because you obviously don't get a divorce because things are going well," the 41-year-old star says in the new issue of PEOPLE. "But it's letting those things live in the past."

The singer-songwriter and rodeo cowboy, 46, announced their split in 2014 and have since worked hard to maintain a positive rapport for their 4-year-old son Kase.

For Jewel – who's on the road for her Picking Up the Pieces tour through May – that meant "realizing you're in a relationship forever, so learning to treat one another with respect and dignity and just doing the right thing for Kase."

Last fall, the star released her memoir, Never Broken, and the experience inspired her to evaluate her life – and how she would lead by example for her son.

"Going through a divorce really caused me to say, 'What kind of woman am I? What kind of woman do I want my son to know?'" says Jewel. "I wanted him, as he goes through his life, to have permission to redraw himself as many times as he needs. We have many chapters in our life, and we actually get to rewrite them."

As for what kind of woman Jewel is today? She's still a devoted mom – and is taking another chance at romance.

As the singer tells PEOPLE, she's been dating Indianapolis Colts quarterback Charlie Whitehurst for "almost a year."

Jessica

• EDA
  • Dancin the night away
Re: Jewel in People Magazine
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2016, 03:52:54 PM »
Jewel Talks Boyfriend, Indianapolis Colts Quarterback Charlie Whitehurst: 'I Was Very Slow About Going Public'

http://www.people.com/article/jewel-boyfriend-football-player-charlie-whitehurst-slow-going

Having weathered a public split, Jewel appears to have put the pieces back together: She's in a relationship and finally opening up about her new beau.

"We've been together almost a year," the singer-songwriter says of football player boyfriend Charlie Whitehurst in the new issue of PEOPLE.

And while they've been dating for a considerable stretch, the Never Broken author – who is on her Picking Up the Pieces tour through May – says they made a point of keeping it under wraps in the beginning.

"I was very slow about going public," says Jewel. "We're not people to go out on 'the scene.'"

Indeed, the singer, 41, and the Indianapolis Colts quarterback, 33, kept their romance private until casually making it Instagram official in January, when Jewel posted a shot of herself with Whitehurst and Terminator star Robert Patrick at the Leonard Cohen Experience.

Having weathered a public split, Jewel appears to have put the pieces back together: She's in a relationship and finally opening up about her new beau.

"We've been together almost a year," the singer-songwriter says of football player boyfriend Charlie Whitehurst in the new issue of PEOPLE.

And while they've been dating for a considerable stretch, the Never Broken author – who is on her Picking Up the Pieces tour through May – says they made a point of keeping it under wraps in the beginning.

"I was very slow about going public," says Jewel. "We're not people to go out on 'the scene.'"

Indeed, the singer, 41, and the Indianapolis Colts quarterback, 33, kept their romance private until casually making it Instagram official in January, when Jewel posted a shot of herself with Whitehurst and Terminator star Robert Patrick at the Leonard Cohen Experience.

And Whitehurst has popped up a few times in her feed ever since: once while racing Porsches in Atlanta, then again on a tropical getaway to the British Virgin Islands.

And Whitehurst has popped up a few times in her feed ever since: once while racing Porsches in Atlanta, then again on a tropical getaway to the British Virgin Islands.

Dating Whitehurst is the first time Jewel has taken a relationship public since she and rodeo cowboy ex Ty Murray announced their split in 2014.

Jewel and Murray, 46, have remained amicable since their divorce, as they continue to co-parent their son, 4-year-old Kase.

And Jewel's focus in both her family life and career continues to be on her preschooler – especially when it came to planning her Picking Up the Pieces tour.

"My son comes with me on tour," she says. "But I changed how I tour, so I just tour Thursday, Friday and Saturday, sometimes Sunday. We go out on weekends, and that way he's able to stay in school. I have a year to figure out a job where I'm going to be more stable."

Adds Jewel: "I work very hard at making sure I'm putting my son at the forefront and not myself."